Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Scripture Reflection!


EZR 9. 5-9; TB 13; LK 9. 1-6
Short Scripture Reflection by Bro. Jinu Muthukattil SM

Even though one could points out many important messages from todays readings, such as the mission of Jesus and his disciples, humility of Ezra, etc.  I believe that the center message of the readings is “Simplicity and Trust, a complete trust in God.

The first reading speaks of Ezra who recognized sins of the people of Israel, who in his humility, in his simplicity knelt down in a total surrender and submission to God and prays for God’s mercy and confesses to God the sins of Israel. In him we see a complete trust in God’s mercy. He believes that God will look upon his people with mercy. Ezra in his prayer acknowledges the guilt of his people that brought disaster to Israel. However, in total submission and trust he pleads for God’s mercy.

This simplicity and complete trust are in the heart of the gospel proclamation today. Even though Jesus bestows authority and power to his disciples to drive away all evil spirits and to heal diseases, he tells them to be simple. They are told not to take anything for the journey, neither walking stick, nor bag, nor bread, nor silver coins and not even take a spare tunic. We could say that there is a renewed interest for this simplicity for the mission in Pope Francis.

Why did Jesus insist them to take anything? I believe that it is because the disciples are to trust in God alone and not to be preoccupied with the worldly things that they need as a means for their mission. The mission is very important, but the mission is not carried out by the power of human talents or intelligence. The mission is carried out through the power of God, through the power of Jesus our Lord. St. Paul recognized it very well that he said, “it is not I who work for the Lord who works in me”. And in our time, Mother Teresa too recognized it and she says, “ I am just an instrument in the hands of God. The work is not mine. The work is His”.

Today we are call to ask ourselves, how much do I trust in God? Can I say myself that I am just an instrument of God that whatever I do is the work of God? Can I say that it is God who works in me?

The life of the one who trust God will be just joyful because there is no room for fear and there will be anything that will preoccupy the mind.
Let us ask for this grace that God in his mercy grand us the grace to simplify our lives and that we may trust Him alone. So that we may finally able to say that I am just an instrument of God, it is He who works in me.

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment